Thursday, December 7, 2006

Swiss Chard Heaven

My favorite vegetables are the dark, leafy greens. Our farmer's market sells beautifully colorful bunches of swiss chard...baby chard... red, yellow, purple ... My favorite way to make chard is to saute it in a little olive oil with garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. I often use them as an accompaniment for my vegetarian version of Brazil's national dish, feijoada (which I will post later). I don't use a recipe, but here's a try:

1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
red pepper flakes to taste

Heat olive oil in large saute pan. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Do not let the garlic burn!! If tough, add the chopped stems of the chard first and cook for a couple of minutes. Add chopped greens, salt, and red pepper flakes and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally. That's it!
Swiss Chard

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...