Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Sweet Italian Sausage, Escarole, and Rice Soup

I'm posting a recipe that can have meat in it, but I think making the usual substitutions will make it yummy, as well. Ever since we got back from Brazil, my husband and I have been eating meat occasionally. So unfortunately, we can no longer say that we are officially pescetarian. Even though we normally eat vegetarian, I feel wrong saying that I'm even pescetarian. But, I will do my best to post only recipes that vegetarians or pescetarians would be interested to try. Let me know if you have recipe suggestions or would like to see more of a certain kind of recipe.

This is a quick and satisfying soup that fit the bill when I wasn't feeling so well. This is actually a soup I made up while in the grocery store, based on my cravings at the moment. I was pleasantly surprised!! Sorry, no picture this time. We ate it too quickly!

Sweet Italian Sausage, Escarole, and Rice Soup
Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3 sweet Italian sausages, sliced (Tofurky Italian sausages are a very yummy substitute! If you used Tofurky, I suggest adding a teaspoon of fennel seeds with the sausage for extra flavor)
6 small roma tomatoes, sliced
1 bunch escarole, cleaned and sliced
4 cups chicken or light-colored veggie broth
1/2 cup rice

Heat olive oil in a large pot and add garlic. Saute until fragrant. Add sausage and cook until browned and heated through. Add the tomatoes, and cook until the tomatoes are heated through. Add the escarole and cook until starting to wilt. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add rice. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve warm with some slices of good bread.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...