Saturday, November 17, 2007

Pink Pearl Apple Sauce

In the beginning of Autumn, Hillview Farm had an abundance of Pink Pearl apples at the farmer's market. These cute, little apples, make a beautifully pink apple sauce that is sweet and tart and melds wonderfully with a little butter and thyme. I used the apple sauce to top my Swedish pancakes, and the sweetness proved to be much healthier and more satisfying than topping the pancakes with syrup!!

This recipe is derived from a generic recipe in a cookbook my friend gave me for my birthday, "The San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market Cookbook."

Swedish Pancakes Topped with Pink Pearl Apple Sauce

Pink Pearl Apple Sauce
Makes as much as you want

Pink Pearl apples, cored, peeled and sliced (I used about 2 pounds)
Apple juice
Sugar
Salt
1-2 tablespoons butter
Fresh thyme

Place apple slices in a heavy post and pour in apple juice to reach halfway up the apples. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until apples are tender about 20 to 30 minutes. Add the butter and any sugar, salt, or thyme to taste. I you want a chunky apple sauce, you can serve it, as is. Or, if you want a smoother apple sauce, blend slightly with a hand blender or with a food mill.

3 comments:

Cultural Ephemeralist said...

Hi Rosanna,

I don't think we have Pink Pearl apples over here in England, but I'd love to try the recipie, so do you recommend another type of apple to substitute?

Kristy

fidlerflute said...

Any sweet, small apple will do, such as Gravenstein, Jonathan, or Golden Delicious. I like the Pink Pearl apples because of the flesh color, but I don't know of any other apples with this same characteristic. It's funny...I grew up in Michigan, which seemed to be the home of apple orchards, and I see varieties out here in California that I've never seen before. I imagine that different climates suit different kinds of apples. Good luck with your sauce!

Anonymous said...

Hello--i found this apple at Treasure Island, USA Chicago IL...very good...they only grow 3 months out of the year and cost $2.99/lb...a novelty but quite good.

marla

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...